Thursday 22 March 2012

Week 23

1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
My media product is a bhangra music magazine contents page. It uses, develops and challenges forms and conventions of real media products.
On the left is a draft of my bhangra music magazine contents page. As you can see, it looks very dark and gothic, and didn't really match my music genre, therefore I decided to change the colour scheme and layout of the page slightly.  
On the right is my bhangra music magazine contents page final. I have placed my main story icon in the middle of the page taking up more space than all the other images. This shows it's importance within the page. I've also included my magazine cover within my contents page. I have placed this on the top right hand corner.


2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?
My media product is a bhangra music magazine contents page. I am designing my media product to represent particular social groups. My audience and readers are mostly south asian people. I am designing my media product to represent particular social groups and I will do this by adding words and phrases that are bhangra related, and of which asian people understand. They will feel to read the magazine as there are cultural references and other factors that they may be able to relate to. Clothing and jewellery is another factor, as within bhangra clothing is very bright and jewellery is most often worn. 
Adding asian people to the magazine is also a way asian people may feel they can relate to the magazine. Featuring people of both genders, and having a variety of age groups featured within the magazine will also help me represent the different social groups. Bhangra itself is from the punjab, so punjabi people will be attracted to the magazine anyways, as music and dance is a huge part of their culture and traditions. 

I am designing my media product to feature asian people, of different age groups, featuring both male and female. Within my contents page I will insert more than four images so I can attract my audience visually. contents pages are more informative so therefore have loads of text, eventhough this is the case, I will make sure it is colourful, and follow the bhangra conventions to attract the audience.
3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
My media product is a bhangra music magazine front cover. My magazine is similar to many other magazines, therefore I believe that magazine distributers like Bauer Consumer Media might be interested in distributing my magazine. 
Bauer Media is a division of the Bauer Media Group. It is Europes largest privately owned publishing group. It has a worldwide media empire offering over 300 magazines in 15 countries both printed and online. 
Bauer Media is a multi-Platform UK-based media group consisting of many companies colleged around 2 main division - Magazines & Radio. It is built on influential media brands with millions of personal relationships with engaged readers & listeners. They connect to their audiences with excellent content through their broad multi-touch point brand platforms, wherever and wherever and however wanted. Bauer magazine spans over 80 influential brand names covering a diverse range of interests. As Bauer media publish for a diverse range of interests, this institution will be the perfect match to publish my media product. This way my media product can be accessed as both a hard copy and soft.

4. Who would be the audience for your media product?
South Asia
My media product is a bhangra music magazine front cover.As I am creating a Bhangra music magazine, my audience will be south asians.
On the left I have included the region of south asia, and these are my broad ethnic audience, and what kind of people will be targetted for my bhangra music magazine. On the whole, my magazine will be distribute within the UK and the region of europe. Therefore my audience may be citizens of the european union, or be british. 


The age range of my music magazine will be from 15-35. Also my target audience will be both males and females as within the asian regions, music is very important, and men are interested as much as women therefore i decided to broaden my target audience to men aswell as women.

5. How did you attract/address your audience?
As my media product is a bhangra music magazine contents page, my target audience will be british or european of a south asian descent. My audience will be both male and female around the ages of 15-45. I will attract/address my audience by making the images I use within the contents page effective and stand out. My images will address my audience as the image icons will be asian or representing bhangra and asian ethnicity by clothing or posture. Another way I will be addressing my audience is the colours used. It will be bright and colourful to catch the readers eye. This will draw in the audience to continue reading the magazine, as it is about the visual content as well as the text displayed.

6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
My media product  is a bhangra music magazine contents page. Throughout the construction of my product, I have learnt about technologies such as using Adobe Photoshop and mainly Adobe Indesign. Both these programmes have helped me create my product. I have learnt to use many tools within these programmes for example, in Adobe InDesign I have learned to make my images look better by selecting then right clicking the image and making it better high quality. Throughout the process of constructing this product I have also learned to organise my layers. By this I mean more than naming the layers. By this I mean, background and bottom layers go all the way at the bottom, this way they do not over lap other layers. The higher the layers are, it means they are overlapping other layers. It is best to organise and place all the bottom and background layers to go at the bottom and then lock them in place so you can fiddle about with the rest and put them in place. Locking layers and unlocking is simple but very fiddly, however this comes in very handy as it helps to keeps layers in place. 

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

My media product is a bhangra music magazine contents page. My preliminary task was to create a school/college magazine Contents page. I had recieved feedback on it, which has helped me progress my work and give me more knowledge on what I can do better to improve my contents page and future magazine contents pages I create. The feedback I have recieved from my preliminary task was very helpful.

images are very important and so is the content of the magazine. I have to plan ahead so in the long run I can link my images and articles together. Also more content was needed, and more tasters and other things in order to persuade the reader to be interested and actually want to flick through the magazine. I learnt about the imagery and how I need to use efficient and origional images in order to achieve a successful magazine contents page. As the contents page is "content", i have to make sure that those needs are satisfied too as well and include lots of information and images where needed. The layout is also very important, for it to be a good organised contents page. A good house style, a good colour scheme and image graphics, and fonts enables the cover to be more efficient and appealing. The colours used should resemble the theme or genre of the magazine. The imagery, and content are very important, and the preliminary task has helped me with the planning and helped me understand there is a lot of depth behind magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment